degree in Biological Sciences (110/110 cum laude) (2000), PhD in "Developmental Genetic Diseases" (2004). Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Biochemistry and Clinical Molecular Biology (70/70 cum laude) (2008) (University of Catania)
Since 2005, I work at the Institute of Neurological Sciences-National Research Council (ISN-CNR) of Catania (Research Fellow: 2005-2008; Contract: 2008-2009; Research Fellow: 2009-2011). During these years, I have studied the molecular mechanisms implicated in fragile X syndrome and the role of glia/neuron interaction in neurodegeneration. In 2013, I worked, as winner of the CNR" Short Term Mobility "program (2013), at the Institute of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology-CNRS UMR7275, Valbonne (France) (research project: "Study of the modulation of the association between FMRP and mRNA after activation of group I metabotropic glutamate receptors"). research scientist at CNR ( IRIB), since 2011.
Orcid ID: 0000-0001-5972-8790;
Research Gate: Simona_Dantoni3;
Scopus Author ID: 6602263043;
WoS Researcher ID: C-5768-2015
- Identification of mechanisms involved in diseases associated with intellectual disability and autism, such as fragile X syndrome.
- Determinination of the molecular basis common to these different disorders, in order to identify new targets suitable for therapeutic interventions.
- Study of the organization of synapses, in basal conditions and after stimulation with neurotransmitters / neuromodulators, in Fmr1 KO mice, an animal model of fragile X syndrome, and in other animal models of autism (e.g. rats exposed prenatally to valproic acid, neurolighin 3 knock in mice)
- Study of the mechanisms involved in the survival/degeneration of neuronal cells
- Development and application of biosensory technologies in genomics" (Public Notice 11/2017 “To strengthen employability in the R&D system and the birth of Research spin-offs in Sicily”, P.O. FSE Sicilian Region 2014-2020).
- Development and integration of innovative methodologies and competences in genomics and proteomics for the diagnosis and treatment of the nervous system diseases" (Public Notice 1/2012 “To strengthen employability in the R&D system and the birth of spin off of Research in Sicily”).
- Activation of serotonin type 7 (5-HT7) receptors as a novel therapeutic strategy in Fragile X Syndrome". Project funded by TELETHON Foundation (Grant Number GGP13145). Member of the research unit coordinated by Dr. Maria Vincenza Catania.
- Neurotransmitter-mediated regulation of AMPA receptor function: implications in the physiological transmission and pathophysiology of fragile X chromosome syndrome. In vitro study of synaptogenesis, remodeling of dendritic spines and trafficking of glutamate receptors in the mouse knock out for the FMR1 gene ". Project funded by MIUR (PRIN 2007). Member of the research unit coordinated by Dr. Maria Vincenza Catania. Period of activity: 22/09/2008 - 22/09/2010.
- "Involvement of group-I metabotropic glutamate receptors in the pathophysiology of Fragile X syndrome". Project funded by Telethon Foundation (Grant Number GGP07264). Member of the research unit coordinated by Dr. Maria Vincenza Catania. Period of activity: 28/12/2007- 26/06/2012. (Annual effort: 100%).
- Activity-dependent remodeling of dendritic spines, glutamate receptor targeting and RhoGTPAse activation in a mouse model of FRAX syndrome". Project funded by Jerome Lejeune Foundation - Paris. Member of the research unit coordinated by Dr. Maria Vincenza Catania. Period of activity: 06/07/2007 - 07/07/09.
- "Molecular basis of mental retardation in Fragile X chromosome syndrome". Galileo Project 2007. Member of the research unit coordinated by Dr. Maria Vincenza Catania. Period of activity: 01/01/2007 - 31/12/2007.